Tuesday 11 November 2014

My Grandma


“Hello, hello!” I would always receive as I strolled casually inside the ‘Invercargill Domestic Airport Terminal’. Hugs and handshakes were given out generously from my grandparents on our short reunion, before they would sign me out of the ‘UMMN’ (Unaccompanied Minor Programme). We would then go to collect my bag, my grandma and I would also have a brief conversation about the week that’s been since I last called them.

I will always remember my Grandma’s hair go from a light brown to a snowy white over the years. Every piece of clothing that she wore had at least two different colours like her garden, which was another one of her passions, her love of colours. Her purple decadent glasses were one of the many parts of her personality, she was almost unrecognisable without them on, unless you didn’t know who she was; that was basically impossible, she had mere hundreds of friends, every time she would meet with a friend she would always have a connection to the people around her.    

Sitting knee deep in the very colourful, luscious garden was always where my grandma be, her hobby, her passion, her life. If she ever got the chance she would always spend at least half an hour planting, pruning or weeding her most amazing garden. If it was raining she would sit inside using her ‘Kindle’ or playing solitaire on the computer (only when she was trying to avoid watching ‘Top Gear’ on the television (Grandad’s favourite show!) she thought that it was horrible with the comedy involved!)

When I was with my Grandma we would always go to the supermarket and buy ‘Trumpet’ or ‘Magnum’ ice creams (She would always use me as an excuse to buy sweet sugary things!) But that would be after she would have met with a friend for a ‘cuppa’ or lunch ...
By Alec D  :D

1 comment:

  1. Alec, I really loved reading this great story about your grandmother. You obviously had a wonderful relationship with her and she would be really proud of this piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete